Goucher College 2015-2016 Undergraduate Catalogue PLEASE NOTE: This is an archived catalog. Programs are subject to change each academic year.
Physics-Engineering Double Major at Columbia University
Goucher students can earn dual degrees in Physics and Engineering in partnership with Fu Foundation School of Engineering and Applied Science (SEAS) of Columbia University in one of the following disciplines:
Biomedical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Computer Engineering, Earth and Environmental Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Engineering Management Systems, Industrial Engineering, Engineering Mechanics, Materials Science and Engineering, and Mechanical Engineering. The B.A. degree in Physics from Goucher and the B.S. Degree in Engineering from the Columbia University are gained at the end of the completion of both programs.
The requirements for Physics-Engineering double majors can only apply if a student intends to complete both majors. These requirements alone cannot apply to any other Physics majors with different concentrations. In the event that a student does not go through with two majors in Physics and Engineering, and chooses to earn the Physics major only, then the student must satisfy the specific requirements for the elected concentration (above) before graduation.
To guarantee admission, Goucher College students seeking admission into the Program at SEAS shall be required to have first satisfied the following requirements at Goucher College:
- Applicant must be able to demonstrate that all pre-requisites and all course specific requirements have been met. To ensure successful completion of the pre-engineering and course specific requirements, refer to the Pre-Combined Plan Curriculum Guide at http://www.engineering.columbia.edu/admissions/cp.bachelors/, which explains in detail both the general requirements and those for specific majors. The incoming Program students should follow the Guide published at Columbia’s site in the first year at Goucher. However, the Guide is revised each year. Columbia University cannot guarantee that students will be admitted to their intended major and students may have to select an alternative field of study.
- A minimum of 3.30 cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA), as calculated by SEAS, is required. In addition, the minimum grade of each pre-engineering science and mathematics prerequisites must be B the first time the course was taken.
- Each pre-requisite course must be taken at Goucher College or SEAS reserves the right to determine whether or not pre-requisites and course-specific requirements have been met. Any pre-requisite courses waived by the member institution by advanced placement, equivalency, or individual testing must be clearly noted as such in the materials accompanying the application. Students using AP, IB or other like credits to fulfill pre-engineering prerequisites must submit those exam results. The test results will then be evaluated on the same basis as for Columbia students.
- All applicants are required to demonstrate English proficiency if the native language is something other than English. Please refer to the English proficiency policy on the website of the Columbia University’s Office of Undergraduate Admissions.
- Students must have three positive letters of recommendation from Goucher College: one from the Dual-Degree Engineering Director (liaison), one from a science professor, and one from a mathematics professor. Both professors need to have taught the student in his/her sophomore year or later.