The business management major trains students in the development of analytical and effective communication skills within the framework of astrong liberal arts curriculum. Business Management is the application of tools that are useful in executing plans and achieving goals. Students areintroduced to and expected to practice individual and collective decision making, macro- and micro-level organizational skills, leadership andmotivation techniques, and quality control through checks and balances. Business Management skills are used in for-profit ventures, not-for-profitorganizations, foundations, institutions, educational institutions, and at all levels of government.
Upon successful completion of the major, students are able to do the following:
- Acquire, interpret, and analyze information concerning business management issues using logic, quantitative and qualitative analysis, and critical-thinking skills
- Interpret business management information and demonstrate abilities to plan, organize, lead, motivate, and complete individual and group projects in a timely manner
- Express and share their findings through written, oral, and visual presentations
All students must complete at least one internship experience that is designed to integrate their academic knowledge and skills with practical experience in the workplace. Goucher College’s Baltimore-Washington location affords ample opportunities in both business and government. International internships are encouraged.
Both a major and minor in business management is offered. An optional concentration in international business is available to students who major in business management. International business is also available as a minor to non-business management students.
Qualifications Required to Graduate With Departmental Honors
Students must achieve a 3.67 in all courses that count toward the major, including all courses substituted for major requirements. Once requirements for the major have been met, a student may elect to take additional courses without penalizing his or her eligibility for honors.
Academic Requirements for Completion of a Major, Minor, or Concentration
- Each student must receive at least a C- in every required course.
- Each student who receives lower than a C- in more than two required courses will not be permitted to continue in the major, minor or concentration.
- No required course may be taken more than two times. A withdrawal will be considered as having taken the course.
Business Management Major